Sunday, August 18, 2013

PICK OF THE WEEK: Stars on Her Arms, But Not in Her Eyes



Almost didn't make it this week! Don't ask me why; I wouldn't be able to explain. Anyway, better late than never eh?
This week's pick is really at least in part, a bit of a brag. You see, this image was chosen for Flickr Explore a few days ago. I was thrilled to learn that it is seen (even by an algorithm) as interesting. I look at Explore images often, and the fact that an image of mine occasionally (it's happened seven times so far) is chosen to be included, amazes me. So many wonderful photographs, so many wonderful artists. I am humbled to be thought worthy to be amongst them.
But, even more than this, I am pleased because it means my work is reaching a wider audience. Putting aside the ego boost that this invariably is, I want my work seen and thought about. Especially images like this one.
Stars on her arms, but you can see the stars are no longer in her eyes. Perhaps it's just that she is tired, or maybe only thinking. But, and this is the point, my feeling was that she is unhappy. Maybe her life is not working out quite as she had hoped (I mean whose does really?). Maybe the stars she once saw or dreamed of, have dimmed. life isn't easy for many of us is it?
And, that is really the reason I do what I do. To tell stories, to reflect upon the lives of the people I am lucky enough to photograph.
I thank this woman for allowing me into her life, even if it was just for a moment. After all, isn't that what life is? Just the moment?

2 comments:

  1. Cool capture. Nice one Paul. Congrats. I love the head down pose.
    A sure way to get a picture noticed is to find a way to show emotion. That raises a question in the viewers mind then you have their attention. In a street picture emotion or implied emotion is both fun and what pulls in the eye.
    Well done.
    Damon
    http://www.photokonnexion.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Nice one Paul! Love this image... I still need to put some poetry/prose to some of your work. This is a piece that inspires me. :)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome any comments, questions, suggestions. The floor is yours! Sharing is a huge part of my philosophy, so please, share your thoughts with us